Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Seward, AK Day 1

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Today we move from Portage Valley to Seward.  It rained most of the night and is still raining lightly.  It is supposed to clear as we move along.


Yes it is clearing.  These are some of the glaciers we see has we head to Seward.


 The views are so magnificent I can't help myself.


 Along the way we see lots of cars pulled over.  There is a triathlon going on today and this is the bicycle route.

I believe this glacier is part of the Harding Icefield, but I'm not sure.  

We made it to Seward. Seward is a port city in southern Alaska, set on an inlet on the Kenai Peninsula. It’s a gateway to Kenai Fjords National Park, where glaciers flow from the Harding Icefield into coastal fjords. Surrounded by peaks, the fjords are a whale and porpoise habitat. 

We set up and had lunch. Then we drove through Seward to the end of the peninsula to Lowell Point just to see what we see.
This waterfall was along the roadside on our way to Lowell Point.  It is glacial flows.  

 This is Mt. Alice.  The top is frequently not visible.  We got a peak for a few minutes.

 There were lots of gulls around.  These are different gulls than we saw in Portage. Notice the pink legs & feet.


There are lots of different kinds of boats in the bay.  The bright pink spinnaker caught our attention from across the bay.


This is Mile 0 of the Iditarod Trail. Read below for some history.

This is Resurrection Bay from Seward near the statue above.



 Ray's came highly recommended by a local.  We decided to give it a try.  I ordered halibut since this is where people catch it. As you can see below I got salmon.  I returned it for the halibut.  20 minutes later when I finally got my dinner the vegetables and rice were cold. It was a busy time, but that is no excuse.
I did not take a picture of the halibut plate but it looked just like this except with halibut.  I was very disappointed. Tic ordered crab cakes and seafood chowder.  His meal was delivered luke warm and cold before he could finish.  For an $81 dollar meal it was VERY disappointing meal. Oh well!




No comments:

Post a Comment